Licence No . __________
Fee Rs. 100.00
hereby granted to to transport petroleum in bulk on land by the vehicle as described below
subject to the provisions of the Petroleum Act, 1934 and the rules made thereunder and to
the further conditions of this licence.
This licence will remain valid
up to the day of __________day of __________20_______.
Date of issue__________
Chief Controller of Explosives
Description of the vehicle
Make and model _________________________
Engine number __________________________
Chassis number __________________________
Name of the registered owner_______________
Class(es) of petroleum authorized to be carried in the vehicle _________________________
Authorized carrying capacity of the tank and compartments. _________________________
This licence is liable to be
cancelled if the licensed vehicle is not found conforming to the specification given in
the Third Schedule or for the contravention of any of the rules and conditions under which
this licence is granted and the holder of this licence is also punishable for the first
offence with simple imprisonment which may extend to one month, or with fine which may
extend to one thousand rupees, or with both and for every subsequent offence with simple
imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five
thousand rupees, or with both.
- The licence or its authenticated copy shall at times be kept in the licensed vehicle and
produced on demand by an Inspector.
- Only responsible persons who are conversant with the conditions of this licence shall be
employed for driving the licensed vehicle or attending to it.
- This licensed vehicle shall be constantly attended to by a responsible person and by at
least two persons while it is transporting petroleum exceeding 5 kilolitres or towing
- The licensed vehicle shall at all times carry-
(a) a portable fire extinguisher of capacity not less than 9 litres and suitable for
extinguishing oil fires; the extinguisher shall be kept unlocked at an easily accessible
position which shall be'away from the discharge faucets of the vehicle;
(b) a separate oil-tight and electrically continuous hose for each class of petroleum it
is carrying; the hoses shall have at each and oil-tight coupling to match the discharge
faucet of the licensed vehicle and the inlet pipe into which the petroleum carried in the
vehicle is to be unloaded;
(c) a strong and flexible for electrical bonding ; the cable shall be at least 5 metres
long and shall have at each end a suitable clamp or clip.
- The licensed vehicle shall not be loaded or unloaded except in a place approved for the
purpose, in writing, by the Chief Controller :
Provided that the licensed vehicle may be unloaded at any other place with all due
precautions and under adequate supervision if such unloading is necessitated by an
accident or breakdown.-
- Petroleum carried in the licensed vehicle shall not be directly transferred into any
container or into the fuel tank of any motor conveyance or an internal combustion engine.
- The licensed vehicle shall not be loaded if any tank or compartment, pipe, valve,
emergency discharge control or any safety fitting becomes leaky, defective or otherwise
insecure until necessary repairs have been carried out satisfactorily, and in the event of
any leak in the tanks or compartments, until the leak is thoroughly repaired and all the
tanks or compartments pass the test specified in Cl. 5 of Third Schedule to the Petroleum
- Before petroleum is loaded into or unloaded from the licensed vehicle
(a) its engine shall be stopped and the battery shall be isolated by a proper switch or
(b) its wheels shall be secured by brakes or by scotching and in the case of animal drawn
vehicles, animals shall be unhitched and removed;
(c) its chassis shall be electrically bonded by a cable with the pipe into or from which
it is to be unloaded or loaded :
(d) the correct filling or discharge hose shall be selected and connected by oil tight
coupling at both ends ;
(e) a responsible person shall be in attendance and remain so until loading or unloading
is over and the tanks and compartments have been sealed.
- Except when called upon by traffic signals or required by an Inspector or a Sampling
Officer, the licensed vehicle shall not stop on any road, congested area or a place which
is not a place approved in writing, under these rules for the loading, unloading or
stabling of such vehicles.
- No smoking and no fire or artificial light or any article capable of igniting
inflammable vapour shall be allowed on the licensed vehicle.
- The licensed vehicle shall not used for carrying passenger or any article other than
- The licensed vehicle shall not be allowed to be repaired by welding, soldering brazing
or hot riveting until its tanks, compartments, pipes and valves have been throughly
cleaned and examined by a competent person and certified by him in writing to be free from
inflammable vapour or oil.
- No alteration in the licensed vehicle or its safety fittings shall be carried out
without the previous sanction in writing of the licensing authority. Such alterations so
sanctioned shall be endorsed on this licence by an amendment.
- Every facility shall be given at all reasonable time to any Inspector or sampling
officer for ascertaining that the rules and the conditions of this licence are duly
observed or for drawing samples.
- Any accident, fire or explosion occurring in the licensed vehicle, which is attended
with loss of human life or serious injury to person or property shall be immediately
reported to the nearest Magistrate or to the officer-in-charge of the nearest police
station having jurisdiction and by telegram to the Chief Controller of Explosives (Tele-
graphic address'EXPLOSIVES, NAGPUR").
Additional conditions for the carriage of
Petroleum Class A along with any other class of Petroleum in the same vehicle covered by
- Two capital Letters "ML", each not less than 10 cm. square shall be printed in
a conspicuous colour in each side and the rear of the licensed vehicle.
- The filling pipe, discharge faucet and the vent pipe of the one compartment shall not be
interconnected by manifolding or otherwise with the filling pipe, discharge faucet or vent
pipe of any other compartment.
- A metal band not less than 2.5 cm. wide, coloured red and bearing embossed or printed
words "MOTOR SPIRIT" shall be securely attached to fill the pipe and discharge
faucet of each compartment carrying petroleum Class A. A similar metal bank, coloured
green blue or grey and bearing embossed or printed words describing the class of petroleum
shall be securely attached to fill the pipe and discharge faucet of each compartment
carrying such other class of petroleum.
- Separate hoses for each class of petroleum shall at all times be carried in the licensed
vehicle. Hoses for each class of petroleum shall have securely attached to it
distinctively coloured and marked identification bands as prescribed under additional
condition No. C for filling pipe and discharge faucet.
- Petroleum carried in the licensed vehicle shall not be unloaded except into the
underground tanks of a service station.
Space for Endorsement of Alterations (See condition 13)